Wednesday, June 14, 2017

2017 UFO challenge update



So I am participating in the APQ UFO challenge and my list of 12 projects was as follows. I thought I would update the list as we are almost half way through the year.

1. Dear Jane - complete
2. Garden BOM - complete
3.  Jan Krentz project - no progress
4. 100 blocks - complete
5.  Thimbleblossoms "colourway" sew along - complete
6. It's a small world 2 was the January pick for the challenge and although progress was made it's still incomplete.



7. Green tea and sweet beans just needed some extra borders and I now have a plan. I am going to cut lots of flying geese units on my Accuquilt and take them to the retreat I'm going to in June.
8. Summer sampler blocks - complete
9. TQS BOM has a drawer to itself and needs a lot of work. If I complete the selected project before the end of the month, I will work on this project. I have worked on it in May and am making good progress. I have the first five months sewn together.
10. Xmas hexagons
11. Makers  tote - pattern purchased - I will work on this at JMQG in July.
12. One hour basket - complete


The UFO pile sounds as if it is going down but I must finish my Thread House retreat quilt which I will work on at the retreat at the end of the month.





Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Progress on Sewcial Bee Sampler


I thought I'd share a few of the blocks so far as we are now over halfway through the sew along. I am keeping up but will be away when this week's block is released and I need to source the mini pearl bracelets in peach and aubergine. Someone has promised me some of the aubergine at the Simply Solids retreat at the end of June and I will place an order thereafter as I don't want this project to languish and we only have eight blocks more to sew.



I have gone for a scrappy rainbow look which may not be obvious.


Using mini pearl bracelets to tie the blocks together.


Five of f the blocks have no frame so I have used mini pearl bracelets for the background of each block.









Saturday, June 03, 2017

June cross stitching

June is here and it is time to get out my Once Upon a Time sampler by The Frosted Pumpkin. Unfortunately I haven't done much of this block so I need to focus to get it done. I do have new glasses for close in work so that might improve my focus!



This month's fairy tale is the Princess and the Pea.

Thursday, June 01, 2017

Sedona Star

This UFO is from 2012 and faltered because I didn't like that one of the blocks was all appliqué when it could have been pieced. 



I took it out of the cupboard a couple of months ago and have worked on it a lot over the past two weeks, such that the first five months ( this was the TQS BOM for 2012) are now pieced together.


I am now working on the appliqué blocks for months six to eight, most of the appliqué is now cut as I treated myself to an Accuquilt die cutting machine.  However I got two of my fabrics mixed up and couldn't work out why I had run out of one fabric. I need to work out the solution carefully and slowly.


If I work steadily I can get this finished by the end of the year. But I am itching to work on something else now as I do prefer piecing.


Tuesday, May 30, 2017

My secret garden BOM finished

The blocks for this quilt have been finished for a few months. I had already sewn them into three strips of four but one strip was a different length, so I had to measure every block and all that was necessary was to add a thin strip of the background fabric to one strip.


I soon had it sashed with a low volume text print with my usual grey screen print as backing.


A turquoise dotty print by Moda was a perfect find in my stash for the binding. Looking forward to seeing what will be chosen as the June project to work on.

Monday, May 29, 2017

May 2017 socks


I may not have shared my April socks with you yet but my May socks have been started, finished and blocked. One of the reasons my April socks were delayed is that I lost my knitting bag along with three pairs of needles, a half started pair of socks and my sock ruler. It took me a few weeks to come to terms with having lost my bag. Silly I know!


I have knit plain vanilla socks with a fish lips kiss hill using a multicoloured yarn that I purchased at the Edinburgh Yarm festival in January 2016.



So faded sweater

I have admired the technique used by Andrea Mowry for her find your fade shawl but didn't like the finished product. For me the shawl was too big and I didn't like the shape. A sweater however has been on my to do list for some time. When I heard that Andrea had also designed a sweater using the same technique, I knew that I had to cast it on.



I searched in my stash to find some suitable yarn. The Long sleeved sweater variation uses five skeins of wool. All of them fingering weight.



After some dithering I've chosen my colours and  I cast on the sweater 10 days ago. I have made good progress given that this is my first knitted garment.


Tuesday, May 09, 2017

May 2017 UFO challenge

Having done no UFO work in April I had already chosen the garden BOM as my main project and fortunately it was chosen as the project for May for the APQ UFO challenge. I had previously tried to piece the top together but found that some of the strips were not lining up. Fortunately when I had a closer look there was only one block which was half an inch too small. I added a small piece of the border fabric to make the block larger.


Once I had focused on putting the top together it was finished in less than a day. Today I loaded it onto my long long arm and it was soon quilted. I also trimmed it down today ready to apply the binding tomorrow.


I have picked out a red fabric from my stash for the binding and need to check that I have sufficient to do at 2 inch double folded binding tomorrow.