Thursday, April 10, 2014

Brit Sewing Thursday Linky - Patchwork Please

Just Sew Sue
 
 
Where has the week gone, I'm still coughing away, with no sign of improvement, but at least my long arm is back with the supplier and should be looked at today.  Another UFO has been dug out of the cupboard and its storage bag thrown away and the leftover fabrics sorted into my scrap bags. It's finished and ready for use.
 
 
Here's my finished embroidery pouch from Patchwork Please by Ayumi Takahasi. I started this during the sew along and had the front quilted and the pocket flap sewn for months. The vinyl I had was a little thick so I purchased a lighter vinyl last week which enabled me to move forward with this project.
 
 
All of my supplies were stored in a brown paper bag ready to go apart from the instructions on how to add an extra vinyl fronted pocket. I thought it was on Very Kerry Berry's blog, no, on the Flickr group, no. Then I gave up and made it up for myself. and I'm pleased with how it went. Vinyl is new to me, so that was challenging. One technique I used successfully was to glue the vinyl to the fabric in the seam allowance.
 
 
So as to avoid having to stitch tape around the whole of the pocket, I set it into the bottom seam. I also used a folded piece of ribbon to bind the pocket. This was selected from Janine's Mum's boxes of haberdashery that I was given. So as to secure the vinyl down well I did four rows of stitching and deliberately didn't do straight lines. The pocket flap is made from some fabric from our screen printing workshop with Lu Summers. A reminder of a very pleasant day.


I added a layer of heavy iron on interfacing to the back cover before adding the binding to give the whole piece a bit more body. Also the binding was first glue basted and then stitched from the front and then two rows of zig zag stitching was added to the centre of the binding to firm up the binding. The whole was then finished with a vintage button and a hair elastic pinched from Lizzie. I might add some press studs to the pocket lid, but that might tempt fate now that it's all finished. I think it's probably best to call it finished and enjoy using it.
 
And of course, after finishing the pouch, I did some blog hopping and found the vinyl pocket adaptation over at Hadley's blog.
 
What have you been up to this week? Please do link up below:
 
 
 

2 comments:

Celine said...

Love your embroidery pouch. I haven't tried sewing wtih vinyl but I found the idea scary! One day maybe...

Jo Jo said...

Your pouch is gorgeous and love the Lu Summers fabric. Thank you for making me such great blocks too XX