Sunday, August 31, 2014

Sunday sewing



Another FQR project has been dug out of my stuff to be worked on. This was taught by Amy Smart and is from her book Fabulously Fast Quilts.

 
I was frustrated by my lack of progress during the class as I struggled to get the unfamiliar sewing machine to sew properly. I then changed machines and found sewing a quarter inch seam a struggle too. Hopefully I can "fix" any differences in block sizes as I go along.

 
I pulled out a jelly roll by Sweetwater for Moda and took out the predominantly red strips. I then stepped out of my comfort zone of white background fabrics and chose this spotty fabric by Makower. It looks very odd in the first photo, but the close up shows it's just a regular spotty fabric. I have all of the strip sets sewn together. Tomorrow's task is to sub cut the strips into 2.5" chunks whilst my long arm does its thing. I'd like to finish this quilt for Matthew to take to Uni at the end of September. Hmm, a tad ambitious perhaps? I plan to use the 22 leftover strips to make the border and binding if possible.

4 comments:

the running hare said...

Hope you finish it in time Sue. Where is Matthew going and what is he going to read at uni?

Betty said...

Plenty of time to finish as you're nearly there ...
I love the red as a background

Noela said...

Look forward to seeing it finished Sue. Looking good already. hugs....

QuiltCandy said...

It's lovely Sue, I'm sure Matthew will love it.