Monday, September 15, 2014

Moda Modern Building Blocks Sewalong - helpful equipment

Moda Modern Building Blocks Sewalong
 
Even if you don't have your pattern yet, you can still piece the one on the finishing instructions as a tester. In the mean time, here's some equipment, I'll be using.
 
 
If you don't have a good square ruler, now may be the time to invest in the largest you can afford. I have the 20.5" ruler by Creative Grids (not pictured) and find it indispensable for trimming quilts. If your block isn't lying flat, press it and then lay your square ruler on top and the weight of the ruler and the steam from the pressing, will work miracles and make seams lie flatter.
 
 
 
We received a sample of Swatch Buddies from Janome at the Fat Quarterly Retreat and I'm starting with the fabrics I'm using for this project on one ring. You can get good deals from Amazon on large packets.
 
 
Have you made any of Lori Holt's design boards? These area boon when you're working on several different blocks at once. The wadding means fabric sticks to the board. Once I've pressed my pieces, I put them back on the correct board, ready to pin the next step.  I made four of these a couple of years ago which is perfect when working on four small blocks each month.
 

 
 
And the best and cheapest piece of equipment I use for any project is a sturdy paper shopping bag to store all the pieces for one project in one place. Return next week to link up to a photo of your fabric choices.
 
 
 
 
 


No comments: