Friday, May 08, 2015

Farm Girl Friday- autumn star and baby chick

 

This is week 2 of the Farm Girl Vintage Sew along, I'm not sure if I showed you last week's one block called Apron Strings.
 
 
I cut into one of my I Want Her Stash bundles for this block and the next two months have just arrived. This is a 6" block. The blocks are being sewn in alphabetic order, so the next block is Autumn Star.
 

 
I am doing my own thing with sizes as I liked the variety of sizes in the Moda Building Blocks quilt. So I supersized this block to 18". I drew it up in EQ7 and then worked from there. Again the blue, background and green fabrics are from my IWHS bundle.
 
 
I've just bought an A5 planner for my crafty projects to keep track of the projects and their instructions. I cut and paste the schedule for the sew along into Word from the Fat Quarter Shop blog and then printed the six pages on two pages to a sheet of A4 paper. Cut them apart, stuck washi tape down the left hand side of the page to reinforce where the page is punched. The result is I can quickly see my progress at a glance.
 
There are two blocks this week and the second is Baby Chick which I made as 12" square. the book has instructions for both 6" and 12" blocks. I like the chicken wire fabric I used for the body by Katy Jones for Art Gallery Fabrics. The rest of the fabrics were straight out of my scrap bags.
 
Last week I walked into town to complete an assignment and I also bought some 15" squares of mount board to make design boards for the 12" blocks. They were laser cut at the framers and I soon had four boards made. however I have no more diamond glaze glue left, which I find useful for all sorts of sticky situations.
 

 And here are the three blocks so far.




1 comment:

Pippa Parsons said...

I think your even more organised than me, I need to try and get this week and next week's blocks done as I'm away next weekend