Wednesday, May 13, 2015

My small world quilt along - low volume swap

http://verykerryberry.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/my-small-world-quilt-along-details.html
 
I have made a small amount of progress in advance of the start of the sewalong. My hexies are sewn together, but unfortunately they're not required until part 5. I have sent about 8 envelopes of hexies to the UK and USa and I have three more to post tomorrow.
 
 
The quilt requires a yard of mixed low volume fabrics. I started cutting up my scraps and made significant progress. Or so I thought until I worked out we need over 300 1.5" squares. Wow.


You might ask what is low volume fabric. This article on Craftsy describes it as:

"Low-volume fabrics are defined as fabrics that “read” as light fabrics but at the same time have a secondary pattern or design. Just one of these fabrics can be used as the background for an entire quilt, but it’s even more fun to combine many different low-volume fabrics for stunning quilts.
Many fabric collections come with a mix of bold prints along with lighter prints that are perfect low-volume fabrics. Low-volume prints from a single collection can be used, or fabrics from a variety of collections can be combined."


Here are a few that I pulled from my basket of low volume fabrics. Here you'll find text prints too. I have several different white on white fabrics as well as cream on cream. I'm not sure I'd use the numerical fabric on the right hand side. It looks a little bold for me.

 
If like me you don't have a great variety of low volume fabrics for this quilt, I have agreed to organise a swap. You can go to eventbrite to sign up here. Swappers will be sending me up to three bags of ten 1.5" strips at least 18" long. I will swap them out and return them on 1 June when I go to London. Here are the three fabrics I'm planning on using - a cream on cream spot from Bonnie & Camille, a sprigged white on white and gold stars on white.
 
 
Any questions about this swap - just e=-mail me. I know it's a quick deadline, but the sewalong starts very soon.

No comments: