Thursday, June 11, 2015

Printing A5 pages for your planner - Farm Girl Vintage

I hadn't planned to write this blog post, but yesterday I received a lovely e-mail from Stacey, asking if I'd sell her a set of the planner pages I printed of the Farm Girl Vintage schedule. As it's someone else's content, I'm not sure it would be ethical to do so, so I said I'd write a blog post about how I did it. If you know a quicker and better way, do share. Next I'd like to work out how to do personal size pages too and double sided would be great too.
 
 
I have also used this method to add the instructions for my bee commitments to my planner so that they're all in one place.

 
But before I get ahead of myself, perhaps I should mention that this is a Paperchase planner - A5 in size (so half of A4). And I can't see it on the website.

 
I have only had the planner a short while so it is in the process of developing but one useful element is that A5 patterns such as this Amy Butler pattern from my friend Jane fits beautifully into the planner with a strip of Time Manager holes which I'm sure could be emulated with some card cut into thin strips with some double sided tape. Perhaps that's a tutorial for another day.
 
 
 First I go to the page I want to take the information from, which in this case is at The Jolly Jabber. Select the pictures and text that I want to copy and copy them. I open Word. My page set up is automatically set to A4, if necessary, go into settings and change to A4. Then I paste the details into Word.
 
 
 In this case, the pages split very nicely into nine blocks per page, otherwise, I go in and add page breaks where necessary.
 
 
Then I go to Print the pages. And for my printer I click properties in the top right hand corner.

 
I then change pages per sheet to 2 and deselect the Draw Borders box. Perhaps I should have mentioned that I use an HP Photosmart 7510, but check the help file for your printer and you should find something similar. Click okay. Then click print. If it's a large document you might just want to print pages 1-2 to test out what you've set up.
 




You'll now have an A4 page with two pages printed on it. Trim it down the middle and you have two pages.
 

 
I then apply half inch wide washi tape to the left hand side before punching the pages. I don't apply the washi if the pages are going to be temporary, for  example the instructions for bee blocks. I will remove the pages from the binder once the blocks have been made, blogged and posted.
 
 
 
I then use my Rapesco hole punch which is marked 82mm from one side. Punch one side - lining up the bottom edge with the tape which I've used to mark the 82mm point. This is explained on the Amazon listing.
 
 
Then turn the page over and repeat for the other side.
 
 
I hope this has been useful to you and let me know if there's anything else about your planner that's been puzzling you, next I will try and print A5 doublesided, and in the right order and then perhaps personal size. You can also use this for a document that you want printed A5 single sided.

2 comments:

Lucy | Charm About You said...

That is such a clever idea! I have a pocket size so I think patterns would be too small... You are making me want an A5 planner!!

Betty said...

Clever Sue!!